We are living at Wolfson College, which is about a 25-30 minute walk from the city center, and only about 10 minutes from Joe's school. The way College's work around here is different from the states - there's not a college of nursing, or a business college. Just think "Harry Potter", but instead of Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, there's Wolfson, Magdalen, Trinity, etc. The college we are living at is kind of neat because it is more modern. It was built in 1965, whereas other colleges have been around for hundreds, thousands, of years. It is only graduate students, and it's not focused on tradition as much as the other schools. Joe doesn't have to wear robes if he wants to go to dinner at the college, and the professors sit with the students during meals instead of sitting at the head of the room.
We did a lot of city exploring the first few days, so I'll share few pictures.
The first place we ate out at is called "The Eagle and Child". It was built about 1650, and is famous because C.S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkein, and others would visit the pub weekly as a group known as "The Inlkings" (an Oxford Writers group) from 1933-1949
The Ashmolean Museum. This is the first and oldest university museum in the world. The collection began in its original building down the street in the 1620's.
The Oxford Oratory - Catholic Church of Saint Aloysius, built in 1875. This was built to help bring catholicism back to Oxford.
To the left is the Carfax Tour, and above is a picture from the top. The Carfax Tour is known as the center of the city, and all that remains of a 12th century church.
Joe and I took a stroll behind Christ Church College last week around the meadows. I can't get over how picturesque it is in Oxford. The meadows are absolutely beautiful - cows grazing in the meadows, geese on the side. It feels like a children's book. And the meadows sit right next to the river that leads into the River Thames. It is so peaceful.
Christ Church College - Joe and I went to a service there on Sunday morning before conference started for us (conference didn't start until 5 pm). This is where the great hall was filmed for Harry Potter. The cathedral on the left is where they held church service. The architecture inside is amazing. They had a boys choir that would sing during the service who could be professional. It was my first church service outside of the LDS church that I've ever been to, and it was a beautiful experience.
Walking down an alley-way after church which has the same idea as Diagon Alley from Harry Potter.
The British ways:
- There are in fact red, double-decker buses!
- Some people still use the red telephone booths around the city.
- We do not have a microwave, so we are learning how to make do and just heat things up on the stove!
- I may or may not have almost set the fire alarm off the first time I tried to use the oven... We've got it figured out now, don't worry.
- Buildings are deceiving. They often look very small on the outside, but are HUGE on the inside.
- You now get charged .05 pence for every plastic grocery bag you use.
- Fresh food does not last long, so you have to go shopping every 2-3 days.
- For about the first week I would convert pounds back into U.S. Dollars for everything we paid for, but that got old REALLY fast when I learned just how much you actually spend on items here, and you can't do anything about it. Just don't convert.
- Ginger Bread Men are called "Tubby Men".
So fun! I love hearing about your adventures!
ReplyDeleteok first- super clever blog name- love it! and second- I'm jealous... well maybe not jealous, but just super happy for you that you two are in such an amazing place and having a fun adventure... and I need to come visit before your adventure there is over;)
ReplyDeleteCan you call, text, FaceTime us or just Skype/email? we want the kids to get to see/talk to you soon. Miss you and love you both! Love your blog already! xoxo
Thanks Lisa! My friend came up with the name.. we thought it was funny :) And we can actually facetime! Both of us still have our phones, and I can use mine like an iPad, so text or facetime when we have Wifi :) Let's talk soon!
DeleteWe miss and love you too!
Wow wow wow, so you know that you are living my absolute dream!! I am truly truly happy that you are both experiencing England not as tourists, but as students at such a level of intellectualism and refinement. I love the pictures!!! Keep them coming. How do you like the food? Are their farms? Can you go floating on the thames like in Mary poppins? I'm so so so glad you are there! Truly! How is your ward? Have you met any other student wives? How many married couples are there? Are you in a student ward or family?
ReplyDeleteBtw holly Mendenhall came up to me and told me how impressed she was with you both. She couldn't stop telling about you both! Good luck!
Love
Melissa
Melissa!! We love you so much. Some of the food is good, some is just ok. I don't think they're really known for their food here in England :) There are definitely farms driving to London, but mostly meadows in the area. But the meadows are big fields of grass and plants, with cows, geese, horses - it really is dreamy to look at. Joe has been out rowing on part of the Thames, called the Isis. But I haven't gone out yet! You can go punting until the end of October, so we'll have to do that soon :) I'll get a picture of the rowers next time we're out. The ward is the best thing in my life. We are in a family ward, but lots of young couples and quite a few YSA. We've been going to institute, so bonding with the YSA, but met a few couples in church today. It's going to be fun :)
DeleteHolly Mendenhall is the sweetest! It was so fun meeting her a few weeks ago.
Love, Emily
What a clever blog name! ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy to see that this blog is a reality now! I'm excited to read about all of your incredible adventures. Love you two so much.
Cherio!
Whoever came up with that blog name is brilliant....
Delete